Sunday, July 24, 2011

VGM of the Day #13: Only a Plank Between One and Perdition



Been away for a while, whoopsie-daisy. I'd apologize but I quite enjoy my free time.

Much like my inevitable return to the field, this Nobuo Uematsu track marks the time to get one's ass and take action. Tension is rising from the impatient bassline and pulse-pounding percussion, and combined with the no-nonsense melody, this makes for one those edgy run-like-hell songs, and it's implemented to that effect in the game quite well.

Granted, pretty much every numbered entry in the Final Fantasy series has a track or two for occasions like this, but in my eyes, this one stands a cut above the rest. The fact that it's been years since I beat FF VIII and the only tidbits of the game I can vividly recollect contain this song speaks a lot. Especially since FF VIII was a fermenting pile of compost.

All in all, it's definitely one of the better tracks in what was not one of the better games in the series. It's a high-speed thrill ride that makes it clear; the time to dilly-dally is over, and the time to act is upon us.

Heh. Maybe I should take its advice and keep up with the blog.

The Verdict: Need something to study or do your homework to? Look elsewhere.

4 comments:

  1. ABOUT DAMN TIME IF YOU ASK ME

    ReplyDelete
  2. A NEW BLOG POST? FROM *MY* DEAN?

    Kappa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Needs moar Salt.

    Besides that.... strange I dont really remember this song. Granted FF VIII is the FF I played the least still its strange. Cool song though. But I like others in the series better.

    And welcome back!

    Lkcynric.

    ReplyDelete